Pages

Friday, December 6, 2013

What's up with those lights?

I've been noticing these crazy, spider like lights in many of my favorite design inspirations lately.
DWR notes that.."Serge Mouille designed his angular, insect-like lights as "a reaction to the Italian models that were beginning to invade the market in 1950," which he criticized for being "too complicated." Mouille designed the Three-Arm Lamp for a client whose instructions were simply, "I want a big light because I have clients in South America who have huge rooms."
I'm well aware that I'm late to the party with these, but I'm on board now. Turns out that they are quite a statement for those in the know, and they come with a price tag to match.
If I were to go for one in my own work, I would do these. When I see them used in a beautiful room, I think of what Deborah Needleman says about adding a black element to a space. Christine Dovey nails it..
They definitely have the black going for them, and I think they add a quirky modern spirit as well. I'm not sure where I could use one in my home, but you never know!

No comments:

Post a Comment